Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In the Home Stretch

So I'm in the midst of packing madness. I have 2 bedrooms covered in stuff I'm trying to sort through and figure out if it fits in the 80 pounds I'm allowed to take (and make sure you subtract 15-20 pounds for the weight of the bags themselves). Anyways, this is a difficult task to say the least!

Brandy, Kara & Johann are having my going away party this Saturday the 11th (come if you're in Denver), and then I leave for Philly for Staging the next morning. We meet each other and do some basic orientation on Monday the 13th. On Tuesday morning, the bus comes to take us to JFK and our overnight flight to Casablanca (I really should watch that movie!). We get in bright and early on Wednesday and then the fun begins! Once everyone has cleared customs and luggage has been collected, we will make the 2.5-hour bus trip to the initial training orientation site in Mehdya, a small beach town just north of Rabat. On Sunday, September 19th, we will leave Mehdya, using public transportation, and travel to our assigned “hub” site, the Auberge du Derniere Lion de l'Atlas in Azrou. During a brief stop at the “hub” site we will have an opportunity to store any baggage we will not need while at your community based training (CBT) site. Together with our Language and Cross-cultural Facilitator (LCF) and fellow Trainees in my preassigned CBT training group we will then depart for our CBT site where we will live with a host-family for the duration of our training. I'm pretty sure this will all be a blur...

Here's my address during Pre-Service Training (PST)
(NO packages can be sent to this address, only letters!):
Adrienne Tuck
s/c Corps de la Paix
2, Rue Abou Marouane Essaadi
Agdal, Rabat 10100, MOROCCO

I'll probably buy a cell phone (sounds like (99% of volunteers there have them) so I'll let you know about that once I figure it out. I set up Skype so be sure to join if you're not already a member and we can communicate there (I think my username is aatuck).

If I successfully complete Pre-Service Training by meeting all qualifying requirements (dear god let's hope so!), I will be sworn-in as a Peace Corps Volunteer on November 24, 2010 (the day before Thanksgiving). The day following my swearing-in I will leave directly for my permanent work site.

Okay, that's enough for now. Got to get back to sorting and packing and the million other little things I need to take care of.


1 comment:

  1. Team mom loves the photo! Living the host family sounds like fun. I'm sure it's a great way to immerse yourself in the culture right away. I'll have to remember what my Skype member name is so we can chat.

    ReplyDelete